Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Exploring the mysteries within: my Listener feature on John Hart


This week's issue of the New Zealand Listener (July 30-August 5 2011 issue) includes my large feature on double Edgar Award-winning crime writer John Hart, who's latest book THE IRON HOUSE was released earlier this month, and who will be visiting New Zealand for some public events in August.

I really enjoyed talking to Hart, who is one of my favourite 'new to me' author 'finds' of past few years (I first read THE LAST CHILD in 2009 - it was my personal top-ranked crime novel of that year, so I was glad to see it win the Edgar and the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger - a rare double - and I also really enjoyed DOWN RIVER, his other Edgar winner, and IRON HOUSE). Over the course of a very relaxing and good-humoured hour, we discussed everything from the literary merit of crime fiction, to the importance of compelling characters and treating a setting honestly (it's good and bad aspects), to getting gripping drama from 'small-scale' personal stories rather than world-coming-to-an-end plotlines, to the fact we'd both left the law to do something else, something better (hopefully) with our lives. Hart was a really humble, down-to-earth guy, and I'm looking forward to meeting him in person when he visits New Zealand next month.

For those of you in New Zealand, go out and grab a copy of this week's Listener - I think you will enjoy the article. For those overseas, the article will be posted in full online in about three weeks - I'll make sure to link to it from Crime Watch. John Hart will be making two public appearances next month - I hope to see plenty of NZ-based readers at what should be two great events:

Sunday 21 August – CHRISTCHURCH

Setting the Stage for Murder with author Tess Gerritsen and chaired by Graham Beattie
Location: Crystal Palace, Hagley Park
Time: 11am – 12 noon
Tickets: go to www.artsfestival.co.nz/show/106/setting-the-stage-for-murder.aspx
to order tickets.

Tuesday 23 August – AUCKLAND
An evening with John Hart
Location: Takapuna Library, The Strand, Takapuna
Time: 6.00pm for a 6.30pm start.
Tickets: Entry: $5 ($2 Friends of the Library)
RSVP to 486-8469 or helen.woodhouse@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz

Have you picked up this week's Listener, and perhaps read my article? If so, what do you think? Have you read IRON HOUSE, or do you intend to? Are you a fan of John Hart's literary thrillers? Will you be heading along to the Auckland or Christchurch events? Thoughts and comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment