Friday, September 6, 2013

Liam McIlvanney's City of Violence

Kia ora everyone! I am still travelling in North America at the moment (currently in Seattle for a few days), so I apologise for the sporadic posts lately. Now that my all-consuming job as a Program Director at a North Carolina summer camp has come to an end, I'll be endeavouring to get back more towards my old prolific-posting self again. After all, there are so many exciting things to share and discuss about the crime fiction world. Earlier this week, I visited Murder By the Book, a fantastic mystery store in Houston, Texas. I'll share a bit more about that in a later post, but for now, I wanted to share some news from back home.

At long last, Liam McIlvanney's second crime thriller, WHERE THE DEAD MEN GO, has been released. I've had the pleasure and privilege of reading hundreds of crime novels in the past few years since I became a reviewer, from all corners of the world, and I thought McIlvanney's 2009 debut, ALL THE COLOURS OF THE TOWN was a truly superb debut. So I've been looking forward to the sequel ever since (and regularly checking in with/bugging Liam to see how he was going, haha).

You can read my feature article "Shocking secrets and lies", which was published in the Weekend Herald, about McIlvanney's first crime novel here.

This week in the New Zealand Listener, there is a great interview with McIlvanney by Arts & Books Editor Guy Somerset. I'd highly recommend grabbing a copy of this week's Listener to have a squiz (Somerset also reviews Eleanor Catton's THE LUMINARIES in the same issue).

Online subscribers can read the feature article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment