Friday, April 18, 2014

First look at Fincher's GONE GIRL



Book to film adaptations can always be a bit hit and miss, so it's not always great news when a bestselling or beloved book gets picked up for adaptation. I am a fan of David Fincher though, so have some hopes for his take on Gillian Flynn's GONE GIRL, which was an astonishingly well-received thriller recently. I did enjoy the book (I may have perhaps preferred Flynn's earlier DARK PLACES, but GONE GIRL was very good), so I am curious to see how it plays on film.

You can watch the first trailer that has been released above. The film will hit cinemas in October.

Are you a fan of book-to-movie adaptations? What have been some of your favourite and least-favourite versions of books that have made it to the TV or movie screen? Love to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. I did not like Gone Girl simply because the so called plot twist was so obvious from the start. When a book relies so much on a plot twist it is very difficult for the movie makers to come up with something that matches the book. Sometimes it does not matter that the viewer has read the ending because the quality of the film and the actors makes up for this.
    Best movie or TV adaptations: The Day of the Jackal, Murder on the Orient Express, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Swedish version], Montalbano TV series

    Worst: Fatherland, and I am probably the only person in the world who did not like the Cumberbatch/Freeman version of Sherlock. Put it down to my age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't fan of Gone Girl but did think it would make a great movie, look forward to it. My favourite movies are Silence of the Lambs, Relic and Fight Club. I read all the books also but thought movies were better, Relic I enjoyed the same.

    I wasn't a fan of Hunger Games but really enjoyed the movie. And Catching Fire made me want to go back to continue the series.

    Overall, I think movies are becoming more successful with the book adaptations, I have been impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craig, you must tell us your favourites.

    Forgot to give my least favourite - We Need to Talk about Kevin, amazing book club read, the film was ugggh, weird beyond belief. I watched and was speechless at the end, wtf was that I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed Gone Girl but thought the characters in the book were younger than the actors picked for the movie. Still look forward to watching it.

    Favourite - Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version).

    Non-favourite – Lolita (1997 version)

    ReplyDelete