Friday, September 12, 2014

9mm interview with Susan Kiernan-Lewis

I'm pleased that now we're really rolling again on the 9mm interviews. Thanks to all the fantastic authors who are being so generous with their time, and to you, dear readers, for making suggestions about who you'd like to see interviewed. We'll be having brand new 9mm interviews every Friday for the next few months. Feel free to message me or leave a comment with any feedback, requests, or suggestions.

Today I'm pleased to share my recent interview with Susan Kiernan-Lewis, author of the Maggie Newberry and Atlanta series of mysteries. Kiernan-Lewis is a prolific writer, having written screenplays, stage plays, advertising copywriting, and dozens of mysteries, sci-fi/paranormal, romance, non-fiction and short stories during her career. She describes herself on her Facebook author page as loving "horses, travel, France, New Zealand, and cooking". All good things. The lady has taste! Kiernan-Lewis has a background in advertising, and has worked internationally in agencies from her hometown of Atlanta to London and Auckland.

But for now, Susan Kiernan-Lewis becomes the 82nd author to stare down the barrel of 9mm.

9MM: An interview with Susan Kiernan-Lewis

1. Who is your favourite recurring crime fiction hero/detective? Amelia Peabody.

2. What was the very first book you remember reading and really loving, and why? 
I became obsessed with a book of German fairy tales as a child. They were sort of gruesome but I devoured them (a word used a lot in the book) over and over again.

3. Before your debut crime novel, what else had you written (if anything) unpublished manuscripts, short stories, articles?
Before my Maggie Newberry mystery series, I wrote screenplays, radio plays and stage plays, mostly about the interplay between the sexes.

4. Outside of writing, and touring and promotional commitments, what do you really like to do, leisure and activity-wise? 
I love to travel but day-to-day I read voraciously.

5. What is one thing that visitors to your hometown should do, that isn't in the tourist brochures, or perhaps they wouldn’t initially consider? 
I’m from Atlanta. I’d tell them to definitely go to Mary Macs for lunch for a classic southern meal and also to a Brave’s baseball game.

6. If your life was a movie, which actor could you see playing you? 
Janeane Garofalo

7. Of your writings, published and unpublished, which is your favourite, and why? 
I’ve just started a new mystery series and for me, the latest thing I’ve written is always my favorite. I’ve fallen in love with these two detectives—one a paranormal innocent and the other a jaded excop—and I love the dichotomy and chemistry between them.

8. What was your initial reaction, and how did you celebrate, when you were first accepted for publication? Or when you first saw your debut story in book form on a online or physical bookseller’s shelf? 
It was a very gratifying feeling. I’m sure I took a screen-shot on Amazon and sent it to my husband. :-)


9. What is the strangest or most unusual experience you have had at a book signing, author event, or literary festival? 
One time at a book signing, a guy sat down at the table with me. To this day I’m not sure why.


Thank you Susan Kiernan-Lewis. We appreciate you taking the time to chat to Crime Watch. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can read more about Susan Kiernan-Lewis and her books here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment