Friday, November 21, 2014

Leaving, on a jet plane.... for Reykjavik


While many of my fellow crime fiction afficianados have been basking in the sunshine of California recently, at the massive Bouchercon event, later this afternoon I'm taking an opposite kind of tack, heading for the cold wintery-ness of Reykjavik, which is hosting the second-ever Icealand Noir festival of crime writing.

I became aware of Iceland Noir when I met and interviewed Icelandic author Yrsa Sigurdardottir onstage at the recent Christchurch Writers Festival. I then met others involved with the festival, including honorary Icelander Quentin Bates - a key part of the organising team - and young Icelandic author Ragnar Jonasson at Bloody Scotland in late September. Their passion and enthusiasm for the new event was infectious, and I found myself booking tickets to Reykjavik, even though I wouldn't be involved onstage myself this year.

There are some great authors appearing at the festival, including internationals such as Peter James, James Oswald, Craig Robertson, Alex Sokoloff, and Johan Theorin. I'm very much looking forward to catching up with some old friends, and making some new ones, this weekend, as well as exploring Reykjavik.

I'll be sharing some photos and thoughts from the festival in the coming days, but in the meantime, you can check out more information at its website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment