Sunday, January 20, 2013

Crime writer's horror flick tops box office



In news just in from the United States, new horror film Mama has debuted atop the box office, scooping $10 million in its first day (more than double the second-placed film, Zero Dark Thirty). With a lean budget of only $15 million, I imagine that the film-makers are pretty stoked with the first day's ticket takings...

Why am I taking about a horror film on a crime writing blog, you ask? Well, this particular horror movie was written by 2012 Ngaio Marsh Award winner Neil Cross (LUTHER: THE CALLING).

Having first viewed the trailer last year (you can see it above), and knowing the quality of Cross's storytelling on both page and screen, I have been looking forward to this movie for a while - even though I'm not the biggest horror movie fan around. It certainly looks creepy and intriguing.

Along with crime, do you like to read or watch horror stories? Will you go see Mama?

2 comments:

  1. Craig - I am happy that Neil Cross is getting some acclaim. That said though, I have to admit I'm not much of a one for horror stories as a rule. I don't know if I'll see Mama or not. The premise seems interesting, but the horror? Maybe not so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope , that one would have me hiding behind the couch! Shame as I loved Luther....

    ReplyDelete